Saturday, September 04, 2004

The Start of Something Big

The sweetie is a poet, so I knew that when the proposal came it would have to be poetic on some level. It could not have been more perfect, and now the wedding needs to live up to the perfection of that day.

The sweetie's side of the story differs a little, but here it is from my point of view:

For my birthday this year the sweetie gave me a birthday card that said something to the effect of, "We should go bowling in Canada, so that years from now we can look back and say remember how much fun it was when we went bowling in Canada!" Of course I instantly insisted that we must go bowling at Canada at some point, because you cannot give a girl a card that says that and then not go bowling in Canada.

We had plans to go to Canada this summer anyhow, so that we could go see a Vancouver Canadians baseball game as part of sweetie's current quest. Originally it was going to be an overnight trip, but due to a friend's surprise birthday party and schedule conflicts we had to make it a day trip if it was going to happen this summer.

When it turned into a day trip I figured that we would skip the bowling on this trip. Vancouver is only 2-1/2 hours away, so a trip in the future is quite likely to happen. However, sweetie was INSISTENT that we go bowling. This was my first inkling that perhaps that would be the big day. Which is interesting, since sweetie insists that although he had made potential plans he did not know for SURE it was the day until we were well into it.

So we went on a road trip to Canada. We left at 7 am Sunday morning so that we could stop for breakfast on the way. Originally the plan was to go bowling after the 1 pm game. However, due to a shorter trip than we remembered and gliding through customs (10 am on a Sunday morning is definitely an easy time to get across the Canadian border. ) we decided to go bowling before the game. For the record, I won the first game, sweetie won the second game, and I had the best overall score. (But none of the scores were good enough to post here)

We then went to a very exciting baseball game between the Vancouver Canadians and the Everett Aquasox. I remember one of the coaches got thrown out of the game early, but other than that the events of the game were overtaken by more exciting events later in the day. Couldn't even find a recap of the game that suggests the excitement. Oh well, such is life. I already had the idea planted in my head that today would be the day, so at one point I was CONVINCED I saw him feeling his pocket to see if the ring was still there. Upon later questioning he said he was checking for his cell phone.

On the drive home sweetie asked me if he could take me out to dinner to celebrate his last day of summer before school started. I agreed. A little later he pulled over at a rest stop, suggesting, perhaps, that he was feeling a little sick. Sweetie suffers from HORRIBLE food allergies, so this is nothing new to me. Little did I know he was feeling fine, but simply finalizing plans for later that night.

I snoozed for a little while. After I woke up he asked if he could pick where we went to dinner. I said sure. First of all, he was treating. Second of all, I thought he was sick earlier in the day. I figured he'd be picking somewhere he knew wouldn't make him even sicker. His response was "GREATLETSGOTOTHEFIVESPOT!"

Now I knew that something was up. The Five Spot was the location of our first date, but is also an old standard for us. If you're visiting us from out of town we're going to take you to dinner at the Five Spot and then walk over to Kerry Park for the view. Although it's a special place for us no one should be THAT excited about going to the Five Spot for dinner.

When we got to the restaurant we happened to end up at the table we sat at on our first date. Except I was a little confused at first and was thinking we sat at the next table over. But it was still odd that we ended up here and not in a booth. We had a bit of discussion as to what table we really DID sit at on our first date. By this time I was nervous. Not at all hungry, but had to order something to eat.

We placed our food and drink orders. I ordered fried chicken and a diet coke. Sweetie ordered salmon cakes and just wanted water to drink - but then asked the waiter to bring a pitcher of water. He MUST be nervous!

Right after we placed our orders sweetie gave me a lovely little speech. I started tearing up as soon as he started talking. I do remember he said something to the effect of, "This is the table we started out at 7 years ago, and today I want to start something even more with you." He got to the big moment. He's asking the question, he's pulling the ring out of his pocket...

... and then the waitress showed up with my diet coke! She soon realized what was going on, and you've never seen a waitress run so fast in her life. Later she came back to apologize, but I told her that I always have a Diet Coke by my side, so it's appropriate that I have a Diet Coke at this moment in my life.

The rest of the night was a blur. We called family and friends. We went to his brother's house to announce the news to him and his wife. I was uncapable of forming a coherent thought of my own without being prompted by a question from someone else.

And thus the adventure began!

3 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

Did the waitress end up with a good tip? :-)

I have a good memory, but not sure I can tell you which table I was sitting at in a restaurant seven years ago: well done!

many congratulations.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

The host who held the table for us got a good table. The waitress got a nice conversation and a good story, but was not really our waitress (just dropping off the drinks). I think our waiter was the one guy in the joint that was completely clueless as to what was going on.

It's not a huge restaurant and its layout is such that it's not difficult to know, at least within a spot or two, which spot I've sat at with everyone I've been there with.

10:27 AM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

My betrothed misspoke; meant to say "The host who saved the table got a big tip."

He was very helpful and kind.

Not only do I remember the table, I remember what my honey was wearing and where we had the first squeeze at the end of the night. The second date was even better. The third and fourth we remember two.

Since then, one big party!

(I won't always be this sugary and sentimental; bear with me for a while!)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home