Saturday, September 04, 2004

The Ring

Sweetie bought me a diamond solitaire for my engagement ring. We can go back together later to get it put into a different setting if we want to. It's VERY sparkly, which makes it very lovely. Sweetie said when he went to the store he told them he needed the sparkliest thing he could get, so he definitely called that one right!

I've never worn a ring on that finger before. The last time I wore ANY ring with ANY regularity was almost 15 years ago. The first few days the sparkles overtook me so much I didn't notice there was anything on my finger. (I've started to grow on the solitaire, so we may not get it reset) After that it started to pester me a bit - in that I'm not used to wearing something on that finger, and it feels weird to continuously have something there. But I figured as with everything else that after three days I would be fine with it.

I think it worked, because today I took the ring off for the first time (getting a manicure, because I'll be showing the ring off to half of Portland this weekend), and I really did notice it was gone and count the minutes until I could put it back on again.

I've really been contemplating this a lot lately. It announces to the world that I am spoken for, that there is someone that I am going to spend the rest of my life with. WHOA! It makes me realize how many times in my single life I would scope out whether or not the cute boy had a ring on his finger before I proceeded any further in conversation. How often that is one of the first judgments you can make on someone, based on whether or not that ring is there.

It also lends an air of maturity. There's no pretending anymore, I really am a grown-up now. Today when I went to get my oil changed the amount of respect that I got out of the workers at the oil change place was amazing. It COULD just be coincidence, but I've gotten my oil changed at this place many times in the past with exactly the same level of service, and today it suddenly took on a whole new tone.

So put on your sunglasses, because that's a darn sparkly ring I've got on my finger and it's going to stay there.

1 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

"See that ring??? It means I own her. She's mine!!!"

--Homer Simpson

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home