Monday, September 06, 2004

Naming the in-laws...

Has anybody else been through this? I want to call my in-laws Mom and Dad. It'll be weird at first, but I can adapt. I think they're awesome, and I'm stoked about the wedding, and I'm totally ready to be a part of this family, etc. So I asked what they'd like me to call them. The Mother-In-Law-To-Be said Mom would be okay if I was okay with it. The Father-In-Law-To-Be, a former Marine drill sergeant (it's a good thing I'm on his good side!), thought, and said I could call him "Sarge." Smart-ass. Well, I can play this game. So I called him that for a full day and a half. Then, he says "I don't know that I want you to call me Sarge anymore." Okay. I'm ready for the big moment where I can call him Dad...and he says...

"Go ahead and call me 'Gunny.'"

Haven't tried that yet.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I congratulated your g.f., but hadn't yet said so to you. Congrats!!! I am very excited for both of you. You know I would be honored to do anything I can to help (while still trying to get my own event off the ground)

Love,

kaphine

2:56 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Thanks, J.L.! Where are you for your own event?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

I think the sweetie should call Dad what both Kaphine and I call him - Homer (as in Simpson). Sweetie is scared of the former drill sargeant, so doesn't want to do that.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense, or something like that.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, PTG, realsupergirl & I have an apt. w/ a Rabbi TONIGHT who we're considering for our ceremony . Very nervous. I also have emailed another I really wanna meet. We have our prioritized guest lists, set up so we can have parties of various sizes from 30 guests to 100 with a couple points in between. We have no date, no venue, no budget, nothin' else. I'm proposing Leftover Day 2005.

kaphine

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to post some comments this am, but they never showed up. Pout.

Anyway, thanks, Paul for asking. Tonight (wow, much nervousness) we're meeting a rabbi who is amoung the prospects for officients. There's another one I really wanna meet, too. We've got our guest list all made out and organized by priority, so that we can invite according to what size an event we end up having--we've got the list for 30 guests up to 100 guests with a couple of sizes in between. We have no date, no budget, no venue. I've proposed we have it Leftover Day 2005. Eve thinks that's too far off, but considering what we've gotten planned, I think it's realistic.

Oh well.

My other comment was about the comment made to Sue regarding your engagement. I'm guessing that she wouldn't mind having grandchildren right away. I'm not so sure that in context it would be an offensive remark. Just a lot of pressure for you and Sammy.

Much love,

J. L.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, it's easy to not think of "Sarge" as intimidating and as a Marien if you focus on how indulgent he is towards his daughter (princess) and her friends. You have heard about the blueberry pancakes, didn't you? He's really a softie.

kaphine

12:55 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

I am not intimidated by the Sarge. I'm just messing with him.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home