Sunday, October 03, 2004

The Beautiful Bride

Now that we've got a date set, it's time for me to start thinking about my wedding day hair. Actually, I've already started thinking and planning for my wedding day hair, but I need to start strategizing to make sure I have my hairdresser of choice present for the big day.

You see, I've got difficult hair to style. It's very thick and heavy and very straight. Add to that the fact that I refuse to take the time to blowdry my hair every morning and it becomes a real styling challenge. Finding a hairdresser who can deal with the challenges of my hair is difficult at best. Therefore, I am terribly loyal when I find a hairdresser. As in, my hairdresser for the past 5+ years has been J. Marie at Fada Salon in Portland, Oregon. Even while living here or in the Tri-Cities I've driven the three hours to have my hair done by her (it helps that family and friends live in Portland, so I can kill two birds with one stone).

J. Marie rocks! She's even considerate enough to realize that sometimes I have to cheat with a local hairstylist, and gives me cuts that any local hack can do upkeep on. One of my attendants has a similar relationship with J. Marie, and she lives in Cambridge, Mass., so it's a bit more difficult for her.

So, of course, I want the best hairdresser on the planet to do my hair on my wedding day. I just need to convince her that it's worth her while. I mentioned it last time I was in town (immediately after the engagement) and she seemed open to the idea. I'll be able to guarantee her at least three clients - me, the attendant, and my mom (she's not a client, but will contribute to the cause). I figure I'll offer to pay her for the 'do, put her up in a hotel for the night, and offer her a spot at the reception. This is one of the items I'm willing to bust the budget on just a little bit.

I'm thinking of sending her a handwritten note with my proposition on it, so I can get her booked sooner rather than later. I don't want her taking vacation that weekend or something. So, the question is, does that seem fair to you, and a good way to approach her about it?

2 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

I vote for "a handwritten note" etc. Quite an honor, and one for which she'll be paid, after all. "Bride prepares" pics can be a lot of fun if done right... no, not for the reception video, but you know what I mean. :-)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would send her a note sooner rather than later. I think the proposition sounds reasonable. You might wanna consider also reimbursing travel costs (buying a tank of gas) if she waffles at the initial offer.

I just can't get over the whole Steel Magnolias image I get thinking about it. Gotta go rent that now.

k.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home