Sunday, September 19, 2004

DJ's

This post is at the prompting of the groom. In my tales of the wedding fair he has been most entertained by my stories of the DJs.

There WILL be a DJ at our wedding. We must have dancing, and a single band won't be versatile enough for our needs (unless you can recommend someone who can do both the Time Warp and True Love). However, the ego of some of these guys astounds me. WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR GUESTS FUN AT THE RECEPTION. Sorry, guys, I understand the importance of a DJ to make the fun flow, but YOU are not to be the center of attention at this party. I am. Well, my sweetie and I, but you know.

It must be hard to distinguish yourself as a DJ, and harder still to upsell clients to the higher-priced package. One DJ company, in trying to explain why we should go for the higher priced package, explained that with the least expensive package you get to meet with your DJ, but with the premium package you get to HAVE LUNCH with the DJ before your event. How can anyone hire a DJ they don't get to have lunch with? That subtle, casual conversation you engage in over meals is SO the foray of the wedding reception DJ.

When we get to this decision I fear it's going to be a tough one. I want a good DJ, but I don't want the guy with the big ego who must be the center of attention for the whole night. Is there a test we can give them to assure we make the right choice?


3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

The only test I'm aware of is other married people. Outside recommendations are the only way. Although, you do want to know if this was a couple that actually wanted Dan Dan The Dancin' Man as their MC.

Actually, I will say this. Don't mock the pre-wedding lunch too much. Or more to the point, I wouldn't work with anybody who thinks there's an extra charge for meeting before the event. Prep time, IMO, should be an included charge, not an extra.

I am actually at this moment in time carrying a pen from our wedding DJ. We had lunch with him (actually a month or so before the event, I think), talked about what we wanted and didn't want, and he pretty much listened to every word.

(He works cheap, too. Unfortunately, I think the airfare is a dealbreaker.)

Of course, you can't guarantee that someone will do what you ask. That's where the references come in. Even stories about bad DJs help narrow the list.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

I'm already hoping/planning to import a hairdresser from Portland to do my hair. Being deathly loyal to hairdressers has its price. Luckily my best friend who lives in Boston is deathly loyal to the same hairdresser, so we can probably make that work within the budget. A DJ from Ohio is another matter.

I definitely want to meet with the DJ beforehand etc., but the idea that you get to meet with him for one fee but for a couple hundred dollars more you get to HAVE LUNCH with him is laughable to me. I'm not that hungry a person.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I make a suggestion? Instead of a DJ, find a small jazz/swing ensemble (3 or 4 people) who can really rock out. You'd be surprised at how cheap some of these groups can be, and live music always sounds better than canned. Check out local colleges, music schools, even high school jazz ensembles could be a great source of talent.

We had a jazz quartet at our wedding, and they played standards, Elvis tunes, a few musical numbers, and other requests from the guests. There was dancing all night and a good time was had by all.

Regards,
tommyspoon

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home