Sunday, March 27, 2005

Tuxes part deux

Swankette is being very kind to the first, failed tux shop. The guy took about a year to get everything in the computer. Then, even though we had clearly said we were just shopping around, he seemed surprised when we didn't pay a deposit. I'm highly thankful we didn't.

I thought I wanted to have something in tails. The reasoning behind that was this: during the ceremony, everyone is going to be looking at my ass. I wanted the tux to be able to differentiate me from the groomsmen if I was being looked at from behind. For some reason, this is how I pictured the whole wedding...I guess I must have been to a wedding at a young age where this happened. And when we left Shop #1, we had it all planned.

But at the Tux Shop, I tried on the two longer jackets. The first was a cutaway. It sort of made me look like a waiter, I think because it was a one-button and the lapels were so large. The second was tails. It made me look like a concert pianist. No, thank you.

So what I decided I wanted was a three-button cutaway. But those don't exist. I'm told that it would look ridiculous...but I think it wouldn't.

But I really like the 3-button deal we'll all be wearing.

The guy at The Tux Shop was 20 years old max, but he was our bitch. Responded to our questions, laughed at our jokes, etc. He was a pleasure to work with! My only bummer is that we have to pick up our tuxes between 4 and 7 PM on the Thursday before the wedding. I wanted that night to be a bachelor party. I suppose it still could be. Few whorehouses open before 8 anyway. (Kidding, honey.)

I'm gonna be the tallest guy up there...which is good, because tuxedoes are one of those things that you look damn good in when you're 6'3".

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

What's that? No tails?

<looks dubious>

12:21 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Tails are too fancy for the dress I have. And Sweetie didn't like the cutaway.

Personally, I was pushing for powder blue with a frilled shirt, but they didn't seem to stock those.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I tried on white tails while trying to pick my tux. It didn't quite fit right, but the look in the mirror was enough to make a judgement.

If you are not Fred Astaire, white tails probably don't look good on you.

I am disappointed that you didn't go for deep purple velvet. But that might've looked funny with the daisys.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went with a morning coat because, well, we were married at an excrutiatingly early hour!

It looked okay, but it was a bit cumbersome for the rest of the day. Standard tuxes are almost always the way to go.

MCMC

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home