Monday, August 08, 2005

Yeah, I cried.

I cried a LOT. It started...well, crap, it started at the damn rehearsal, when my kid sister was reading from Song of Solomon. I was crying, and then I was amazed I was crying, so I started laughing at myself for crying, and both my sister and the minister asked me why I had the giggles. They thought I was laughing until I cried, but actually the reverse was true...I cried until I laughed.

During the ceremony, my voice checked a little when I put the ring on her, but I totally lost it when she put the ring on me.

Then my big sister cried during the prayers, which didn't help me much.

Then--and this one blew me away--the MINISTER cried as she was banning our hands together with the sash. Those of you who don't think it's important to spend some quality time with your minister before the wedding...this pretty well cements that it is. That was an intense and wonderful moment...as it well should be!

I had it together by the offertory, but when my friends started singing "Go Ye Now In Peace..." well, Swankette knew I was in trouble, and I sat there, quaking wildly. I was so overwhelmed by all the love. I loved EVERYBODY that day. Joey, the kid who beat me up in second grade? Loved him. George W. Bush? For an hour or so, loved him. Why not? God had blessed me, and knocked me loopy with hunks and gobs of His love. It was ricocheting between my bride and I, bouncing off our families like a beach ball at a concert, growing and coloring the choir, then reproducing like a geometrical function, filling up the church, the city, the universe. My love was indiscriminate and infinite. I LOVED EVERYBODY.

I then lost it again as people exited the church and hugged us. So many people kept asking me if I was okay. Um...YES!!! Of COURSE! The okayest I've ever been! I was utterly overwhelmed by everyone we love--SO MANY of them!--supporting my deep-forever-love and I so loudly during the vows, sharing communion, and then hugging us! What kind of a question is "are you okay?"!!!!!

Thank God for my buddy Andrew, who hugged me and said, somewhat relieved:

"FINALLY. A groom as emotional as I was."

That's one of the key memorable moments for me. Thanks, Andrew--I hope to have a family as awesome as yours soon. Thanks, friends. And thanks, Bride, for being the focal point and generator of all that love.

(Yeah, that's syrupy. But I'm entitled. We've only been married nine days.)

More to come!

1 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

Yeah. I had that overwhelming sense of love at your wedding, too. An intense experience. I am so blessed to have so many people in my life that I love and who love me. And people who love the ones I love. I gratefull for them, too.

Gratefull.

Love you!

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home