Tuesday, July 26, 2005

My bride is cute.

Ever hang out with a little kid on Christmas Eve? Particularly a little kid who does not handle deferred gratification well?

Welcome to the world of Swankette.

A few days before her birthday this year, I was going to be home a little late from work. I called to let her know: "I'll be putting in a late day at school, and then I need to change the oil in the car, then have to head to the library for a sec, and then I'm going to shop for your birthday present, then grab a bite to eat and head home. So don't be worried."

That set her in motion. "What is it? What are you getting me? Where are you shopping?" This continued for the several days until her birthday. And Christmases...well, she can't stand waiting.

Take a birthday, and Christmas...and put to the power of about twenty...and this is where my baby is right now.

She's not sleeping much, but only sleeps when I'm with her. And she worked up to and including today. I'm a night owl on summer vacation, so I've taken to bringing the computer to bed with me so that she can sleep a few hours while I chill playing backgammon and checking blog.

Don't get me wrong...I'm very excited too. But I think it's different for me and her, possibly for all boys and all girls. For me, the nerves and excitement were more acute leading up to ASKING her.

Also, I have a personality waaaay different from hers vis-a-vis sleep. I have never in my life stayed up all night. Emotional highs? I get to sleep. Intense negative emotion...stress, grief? No problem. I get to sleep, even as an escape. Swankette? Um...she doesn't sleep much in the calmest of times. But I find it cute that she needs me here like her beloved Paul the Giraffe I got her for our first birthday together.

Paul the Giraffe has been supplanted by Teacherrefpoet the Person.

And come Sunday night, we'll be sleeping like babies on our honeymoon. (Or not.)

2 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

I'm wishing you a sleepless and whelming honeymoon (for at least a night or two, then you can sleep).

5:27 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Awww. That is so freaking sweet.

And I didn't know you played backgammon... but we cat talk about that once we're both old married men.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home