Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Pragmatic Bride

Sweetie and I will be spending the night before our wedding apart. Not so much for the tradition that we aren't allowed to see each other, as we'll be doing photos before the ceremony so that shoots that to hell. Rather, it seems best that at least one of us get a good night's sleep the night before we wed, and the only way to do that is to sleep in separate locations.

I've been an insomniac as long as I can remember. When stress is overtaking me I just can't stop THINKING and once that gets going I can't go to sleep. The only cure that I've found is late night TV. It's got to be totally uninteresting, because the noise will quiet the voices, but it won't be intriguing enough to grab my attention.

Usually the problem is I can't fall asleep, but the last week I've actually been waking up very, very early in the morning. And once I'm awake it's hard to get back to sleep. During the week I've just toughed it out in bed, as the alarm would be going off in an hour or so, but this morning I was awake at 4 am. Wasn't going to go back to sleep. Took some online distraction and an hour and a half of British DIY television to knock me out for another few hours.

And when I'm out on the couch dealing with the insomnia, Sweetie doesn't sleep as well either. Which is just about the sweetest thing ever.

Since the engagement I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting a lick of sleep the night before the wedding. But now I'm realizing the two weeks before the wedding I'll take whatever I can get, but it sure as heck won't be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home