Monday, January 03, 2005

Anticipation

This week is going to DRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG by. No, I'm not psychic. I'm just psyched to go wedding dress shopping with my mom this weekend.

Yes, I did just type that: I am PSYCHED to go wedding dress SHOPPING with my mom this weekend. The Mom who gave me a french, feminine name because she wanted a girly-girl into frills and lace and dresses. The Mom who gets upset because I tend to speed-shop when we go clothes shopping and can case a store in just a few minutes rather than flipping through every single item on every single rack. The Mom who, when I was in high school and she wanted to buy me clothes for Christmas, would go into a store she knew I liked and have the salesperson pick out an outfit for me, because the random salesperson on the street knows my fashion sense better than my own mother. I am PSYCHED to go find my wedding dress with her. The wedding planning disease has obviously hit me hard.

But, really, when you look at it up-close it makes perfect sense. Being 200 miles away Mom doesn't get to be very involved in the wedding planning process (which is, for the most part, a good thing. See that note about our different styles above). Mom did request she be involved in the purchasing of the dress. I need someone else to be involved, and the girl attendant lives 3,000 miles away, so Mom will do the trick. By going to Mom I don't have to pay sales tax for the very expensive clothing. Also, Mom's had a lot of friends whose kids have gotten married over the last few years. So she's got connections on where we can get deals on dresses in PDX. She got the task of calling around to make appointments, check out prices to make sure it was worth our while, etc. I just have to make the drive town to Portland. As an added bonus, it's a debate weekend for the Sweetie, so I'll be missing maybe 5 minutes of face-time with him by heading out of town.

HOPEFULLY the joy of the big white dress will overwhelm my mother, so she won't push too hard for the lace and rhinestones that I'm sure are much more her cup of tea. She's usually pretty good at knowing when our tastes are going down completely different paths and keeping her mouth shut. Plus, shopping has always been our mother-daughter bonding activity (to this day if she feels she isn't getting enough Swank time she'll offer to take me shopping, to bribe me into spending time with her as it were), so this will just be that to the extreme.

We've got 4-5 places lined up to check out. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home