Saturday, November 27, 2004

The rockets' red glare

I'm certainly stoked for the wedding weekend. I get to make vows in front of family, friends, and God that I'll stay true to my Swank baby, which I'm very excited to do. That's one life goal I get to accomplish. But there's a second life goal, which Swankette very nicely didn't announce the other day, which I will tell you about now.

It started when we were working with the Aquasox on our rehearsal dinner. The woman we're working with is about as stoked as we are for the rehearsal dinner...I bet it's a lot more fun for her than the usual silly business outings. Swankette and I were just expecting to get some grilled chicken and Pepsi out of the deal, plus a good time with 40-50 good friends. But when the Aquasox woman responded by saying "we'll have to make sure you throw out the first pitch, and that members of your party are in our on-field promotions," well, we were blown away.

However, there was a problem. My baby and I don't really have massive fights, but there was one brewing if we had to decide which of us threw out the first pitch. So I emailed the Aquasox woman and asked if they could have more than one pitch thrown out. She responded as follows:

"I will reserve TWO first pitches as well (unless one of you would rather sing the national anthem :))"

HOLY CRAP!!!! I blew a gasket. I wasn't sure whether she was being serious with the National Anthem offer...the emoticon made me wonder if she was being tongue-in-cheek. I immediately phoned her. She said "Well, I see no reason why you can't. Are you going to go Janet Jackson or Roseanne on me?" I assured her that I am too flat-chested for the former and too patriotic for the latter. So on July 29, 2005, I will fulfill a life goal of leading the crowd in the national anthem at a baseball game. Majors is next!

I used to sing before basketball games at my small college. I sang with my HS show choir at a Denver Zephyrs game once. My college a cappella group didn't start singing at Cleveland Cavs games until after my graduation. But this is SOLO, bay-bee, and so much nicer than NCAA Division III...and that National Anthem so much more important at a baseball game than in the sterile environment of a basketball arena.

That AND a wedding--within 24 hours! I may go into excitement overload.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Mature words fail me, so I'll fall back on my youth:

Dude, that is SO COOL! It's like the coolest thing EVER!

Whew. Now that's out of my system ... congratulations! What a fantastic way to have the party before the party. Bravo!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Hugh said...

I am awe-full. Don't forget to have your betrothed rip off one of your shirt pockets. Accidentally of course.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home