Friday, November 12, 2004

The Weekend

Sunday the parents and the future in-laws are meeting for the first time. It's not so much that I'm nervous, as I'm sure they'll all get along just fine, but I'm still a little on edge about it all.

Tonight I'm cleaning the apartment, so that it's parent-friendly when they arrive tomorrow. So now I'm procrastinating.

There's something about the fact that my parents (who have been married over 47 years) and his parents (who have been married over 40 years) meeting that makes me realize just how big this thing is we're undertaking. It's more than just a pretty ring on the finger. It's more than just a rocking big party. It's more than just a church service. I've been through all those things in some variation or other before (not quite this variation, but I have comparisons). But spending the next 40+ years of my life with this person -- that's mind-bogglingly HUGE. Me, who's never been able to commit to an apartment for 2 full years is committing to a person for the rest of my life.

But tonight I'm staying at the apartment rather than with the Sweetie (more time to ready the place that way), and a part of me is contemplating taking the time to go up to his place to sleep, even though he'll be getting in late and leaving early so I probably wouldn't even get the opportunity to talk to him. That connection that makes me want to be with him every night. That makes me want to wake up next to him every morning. That wants to tell him all the good things and bad things and things in between. That make me want to cook for him. That loves it when he takes care of me. Those are the things that make me sure that this is the best decision I've ever made in my life and make me the happiest girl on the planet.

Who knew procrastination could turn into this?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home