Sunday, January 02, 2005

DJ...check

The Bridal Show wasn't terrible. My bride did not wear the "Bride-to-be" sticker in the shape of a heart. (This enabled me to say "You don't have a heart on for me!" Say it aloud...it's freakin' hilarious.) Vendors talked to me. It wasn't a zoo of prissy women in their early 20s. It was just fine.

The main task was to get a DJ. The first group we went to see was pretty slick...a great website, loads of DJs to send your way, and the owner we were talking to seemed to understand our needs and what we wanted. He got it off to a good start...

but then the second guy we talked to was a terrible salesman. My business major bride-to-be really gets annoyed when people who are supposed to be selling things are bad at it. He started right off by saying "Getting a DJ is like buying a used car." Huh? I didn't feel an adversarial relationship with this guy going in, but now I did. He then went on for five minutes badmouthing DJ company #1, talking about how their DJs are underpaid, how they don't really care about you, how they do terrible work...blah blah blah. I was eager to hear a reason to hire him, but after about eight hundred reasons not to hire DJ #1, I never got a positive for his gang. Net result: I didn't want DJ #1 OR DJ #2.

Then we met Meat Loaf. No, not the real Meat Loaf, just a guy who looked like Meat Loaf. He was decked out nicely in his tux, mullet, and mustache. (Yeah, I know that Mr. Loaf does not have a mustache...but if he did, he'd look like this guy.) Swankette and I were impressed with Meat Loaf, actually...he answered the questions correctly. The main question, as always, was "What would I see or hear if I walked into one of your wedding receptions?" His answer was totally correct: "It depends." DJ #1 said this too, but I didn't think his heart was in it. DJ #2 was too busy ripping on DJ #1. Meat Loaf understood just fine.

DJ #4 said "Oh, only one of our guys is available that day." Instead of selling his company and touting the strengths of the available man, he shooed us away and recommended DJ #5. What a dork.

DJ #5 said that we could make as many specific requests as we wanted. He said that we could request "Take My Breath Away," and it didn't even have to be the Jessica Simpson version! It could be the...uhm...the other version. BERLIN, you moron! How can a guy my age not remember the performer of the song that provided the theme for homecoming 1986? His answer to the big question was twofold: "I like to get the little kids out dancing first!" and a long description of the anniversary dance...he acted as though he'd invented it. How the hell is the anniversary dance supposed to get people up and dancing anyway? Hmmm.

So we'd basically decided that Meat Loaf was the best. We headed back to him. We still had trepidations...we just wanted to ensure that Meat would not be, as Joe calls him, "Dan Dan the Dancin' Man." That's simply not acceptable at our reception. We asked a few tentative questions, and then my baby laid it on the line: "Look. We just want to know we won't be getting Dan Dan the Dancin' Man." Meat laughed. He got the joke, and understood what we didn't want. He checked his calendar...and found out that he himself would be the DJ available on our date! That, plus his willingness to write into the contract that he will be our DJ barring "a dire emergency or an act of God" [my wording...I sure know contracts!] made all the difference. Then, I asked if we could go spy on his next wedding reception (with the bride and groom's permission, of course). He agreed, and added something that was again, right on the money: "But remember, that bride and groom might want Dan Dan the Dancin' Man." True. So if he plays "The Macarena" at that reception, it'll be fine if everybody reacts in a happy manner. But I'm confident. Mullet or not, he gets it.

Next: Vegan bakers (due to allergies, not to morals) and florists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home