Monday, January 03, 2005

Audience Participation

OK, folks, time to get some input from the masses again. And I don't care if you're masses I've never met before, if you've stumbled across this blog you're welcome to give your input. (I don't promise to follow it, but I'll read it and take it into consideration.)

Sweetie and I are now possession of a CD containing lots of goodies from the DJ to help us select what songs we want played at the wedding, and what are on the DO NOT PLAY list. DJ PROMISES that even if EVERYONE AT THE RECEPTION requests a song on the DO NOT PLAY list he will not play it without explicit approval from us. I told him I want him to point out to me exactly who request the Macarena, so I can kick them out of the reception and disown them as a friend.

So, what songs are gonna' make you get up and boogie? What songs will make you go hide out in the restrooms or force you to take up smoking so you can stay outside?

Here's what I know (or am relatively certain) will be played at some point during the evening:
"Power of Two" - Indigo Girls
"Stardust" - Nat King Cole (although not sure if the Nat King Cole version or not)
"True Love" - Bing Crosby
"It's the End of the World as We Know It and I Feel Fine" - REM
"Do ya' Think I'm Sexy" - Rod Stewart
"Dancing Queen" - Abba
"Time Warp" - Rocky Horror Picture Show
"Love You Madly" - Cake

Here's what I know will NOT be played at the wedding:
"Macarena"
"Electric Slide"
any song that has a line dance that goes along with it
Celine Dion
Whitney Houston

Amazingly enough, The Chicken Dance isn't on top of the DO NOT PLAY list. I'm wavering on that one. One of mom's best friends LOVES the song, and I can see Sweeties nephews and niece getting into it.

Recommendations, please. Editors note: I've realized I missed some things, so this will be a work in progress.

9 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Addenda to play:

I'll need to hear Love Shack at some point.

Addenda to not play:

Achy Breaky Heart
Anything else with twanginess
Wind Beneath my Wings...yuck
Anything by Ace of F-ing Base

6:20 AM  
Blogger lemming said...

Though you've probably heard "In the Mood" at so many receptions that you now loathe it, I woudl suggest something from that era - and there's lots of good Big Band Swing music, after all. It's a good "older crowd" pleaser and I've attended several wedding at which folks from our generation turned out to be terrific swing dancers.

TRP - any idea what the first dance was in May of 1998, M & A?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

There will definitely be music from that era played. My Mom and Dad are big dancers, and Mom is coming up with her own "must play" list for the "older" generation choices. That was an important question for the DJ's to be - could they handle playing from the 1940's - 1980's with ease.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Big band/swing stuff - definitely play!

Chicken Dance - for the sake of the brain damage it can cause to both children and adults, NO!

Other suggestions for the DO PLAY list: James Taylor, Seal

3:10 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'll see the big band swing, and raise you The Twist. Everybody can twist... or thinks they can; the effect is similar.

I'll politely engage in conversation while you play the chicken dance. You gotta do what you gotta do.

3:22 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Lemming--

I did not recognize the song that Dr. Lustfreak and his spouse danced to in 5/98. Never asked for the title.

I'd enjoy a polka as well, in memory of my Polish ancestors. I'd even teach you how to do it, Swankette.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I was going to suggest a polka, but I didn't want to be the only one! I'm Polish, Herself is from Cleveland, we can give lessons too.

There's even a song called 'The Baseball Polka'...

7:08 AM  
Blogger kaphine said...

I can Polka, too.

9:26 AM  
Blogger kaphine said...

Must play: Tito Puente. It couldn't be a Swank Wedding without him.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home