Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Debate on Whether to Have Kids at the Wedding

For most engaged people the kid debate is whether or not they want to invite the children of their friends and loved ones to the wedding and reception. That was never a debate for us - the more the merrier. Any kids that come are well-raised enough that they won't do anything totally inappropriate, and they'll add the cute factor in a big way.

Nope, the issue Sweetie and I are having is the incorporation of children in the service. And not in will we have a flower girl or a ring bearer, but will there be moments of the service in which we talk about me being a fruitful vine and how we're going to go forth and multiply and all that kind of stuff.

The answer is: Not gonna' happen (well, probably not).

Here's the deal. I want kids. Someday. But I'm still getting used to the whole concept, and we won't be starting the endeavour on the wedding night. But my parents DESPERATELY want to be grandparents (and their friends are in support of that goal), and for the past many years my one sure-fire way to shut them up has been, "But I'm not married, you wouldn't want me to be a single parent, would you?" My parents tradition is stronger than their urge to grandparent, so that always shut them up. But once the I do's are exchanged I don't get that excuse anymore.

So I'd really not rather bring up the concept of us multiplying into the service, because then I KNOW I'll be getting the third degree at the reception as to when we're going to start a family. Thus far it's proved rather simple, remove this optional prayer, select this reading over that one.

But now we've gotten to the Psalms. And those that seem wedding appropriate that DON'T mention me being a fruitful vine seem to be very missionary and evangelistic and as much as I don't want to be popping out my first kid nine months after the wedding I also don't want to try to convert friends and loved ones who don't already believe while at the wedding.

Although over the course of typing out this blog entry we found a good one, so that's another problem averted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home