Saturday, May 28, 2005

In Which Swankette Rants and Feels All Superior

So I've been reading some online wedding message boards. The idea was it would help me make sure Sweetie and I are on track, that we're not forgetting anything important, and we may pick up an idea or two along the way.

But MAN if I don't want to just go off on a rant at some of these brides day after day. Lots of questions in the vein of, "Gee, I really want purple hair, but my Mom says that I'll regret it someday and his Mom says she won't come to the wedding if I have purple hair. What should I do?" And the responses are all, "It's YOUR day, do what YOU want. Screw what anyone else says."

Or, "My friend is complaining about being in my wedding. But I'm paying for the dress, so it's not like it's costing her any money. She should be honored to participate in my day, all I'm asking is that she be totally available to me the week before my day to do stuff for me."

Rant the first: Any Bride who refers to her wedding as MY day should never be allowed to obtain a marriage license. Because as much as I may be the one who the eyes are on, simply by the fact that I'll be the one in the poofy white dress, there is a groom involved as well. It is OUR day, as it is the day WE will be joining OUR lives together. Granted, I've probably had more thoughts about this day before the proposal happened, I may be doing a bit more of the legwork in planning the day, but at the end of it all without him this day ain't happening. And for the record, although I may be the one in the poofy white dress, he's the one who prefers to be the center of attention and I prefer to take second stage, so stare at the tall boy in the tux instead, please.

Rant the second: The Bride AND Groom may be the centerpiece of the day, but it is a party you are throwing. Perhaps you've never thrown a party before today, but a gracious host takes into consideration the thoughts and feelings of their guests. Sweetie and I had friends over tonight. It was MY house, it was MY party, and I like to allow my cat to wander freely throughout the house. However, as a gracious host I locked Samson away for the night because one of our guests is allergic to cats.

Rant the third: People who have been through it all in the past can actually give some good advice. It's worth it to at least listen to what they have to say. Doesn't mean you have to take their advice, but at least all sides of the story are out there. And some of these people have been through big events in the past, even weddings, they may have some real-world experience that they're basing these examples off of. I can't think of any specifics right now, but I know there have been instances where I've won my Mom over on something we're doing be explaining the motivation, rather than annoying her by just saying, "But it's MY day!!!"

And this is precisely why Sweetie and I will have such a kick-ass wedding. Neither of us are capable of being this type of person.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Total agreement. That Bridezilla phenomenon is so very unbecoming and also counterproductive. (But none of us ever even worried about you two sliding into it.)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home